Monday, June 14, 2010

Cheesemaking

Mom and I attempted the long-anticipated activity of cheesemaking today. We made delicious fresh mozzarella.

This is Mom now. Everything about Barbara Kingsolver's book "Animal, Vegetable. Miracle" inspired me to try growing and making things. One thing was cheese. A couple months ago,I purchased Ricki's Cheesemaking Kit, as recommended, read the descriptions and instructions a couple dozen times, and then waited until Melissa could come home and play before actually trying it. So glad I waited; we had so much fun, and it turned out just fine. We made three balls, sampled one till it was gone, and tomorrow we're going to make bruschetta and caprese salad with the two we have left. Mmm-mmm.






Melissa again. I ran into the last of the parmesan cheese tonight as I sprinkled it onto my low-fat microwave popcorn. I asked mom, "If we put our mozzarella cheese in the basement, will it get to be parmesan cheese?" She said we'd need to leave it down there long enough and inject the right culture into it, so I plan to put it in the basement for awhile with a nice symphony playing. Mom is 100% on board.

1 comment:

  1. oh gosh.. you guys are so funny...

    that cheese looks really good! wish I could have some!

    ReplyDelete